Recycled architecture: aesthetics of modern times

Sustainable design and architecture are fundamental building blocks of a low carbon economy. Lack of resources, global warming, environmental degradation and overproduction - all these factors have led to the emergence and entrenched use of recyclable materials in design, architecture and household life. Recycling is something that each of us can do, making our small contribution to the great cause of preserving the environment.

The concept of "circular design", when resources are given a second life - aims to reduce the carbon footprint, reduce waste and reduce energy costs. But today, recycled design is not only about sustainability. This is the aesthetics of the new era, an integrated approach to the creation of architecture, taking into account the life cycle of resources and buildings. Many designers, architects and urban initiatives have successfully used the concept of "circular design" for over 20 years - let's get to know the brightest of them.

Universal Design Studio and Giles Miller created a two-story pavilion from completely redesigned materials for BBC Studios. The pavilion includes office space and conference rooms. The pavilion is surprisingly mobile - it can be completely disassembled and assembled anywhere in the world in 6 days. Truly, the architecture of modern times is functional, stable and highly organized.

Designed by March Studio, the Australian hotel lobby is a work of art and a sonorous note in a symphony of sustainable design. The decor was reused with unnecessary formwork beams taken from the same hotel. The delightful project was honored at the 2015 World Design Festival.

Another futuristic pavilion on our list - this time designed by the architectural firm SLA and Overtreders W in collaboration with the residents of Eindhoven for Dutch Design Week 2018. The façade uses recycled plastic and recycled wood, no glue, nails or screws.

The Morrow Royal Pavilion, the world's largest building entirely made from recycled glass bottles, is located in Nevada, near the famous world center of casinos and slot machines. McCombie Realm of Design used beer bottles thrown into landfills by numerous Las Vegas casinos - more than half a million bottles in the construction.

The global coffee favorite Starbuks is also keeping pace with the modern eco-business trend: in the Seattle suburbs, the company has built a coffee shop from four shipping containers used to supply coffee and tea.

Colombian company Conceptos Plásticos revolutionized the world of budget residential real estate by creating a unique technology to build houses from recycled plastic in just 5 days. The small area of such a dwelling (about 40 sq.m.) is compensated for by its high thermal insulation, as well as fire resistance and earthquake resistance. The cost of such a house is about 7 thousand dollars.

In 1970, artist Victor Moore was ahead of his time by creating a castle from empty boxes and rubbish - the construction cost the author only $500.

South Korean artist Choi Jong Hwa designed a building in Seoul whose façade consists entirely of old doors. It turned out very brightly, vividly and really gave a second life to the materials.

In 2008 in China, the architect Wang Shu built a historical museum building, the façade of which is entirely made up of garbage collected from the surrounding area. The building materials for the museum were bricks and tiles from 30 destroyed Chinese villages, some of which are thousands of years old.

At the end of the review, we would like to tell you about the amazing Japanese city of Kamikatsu, in which waste disposal has been practiced for more than 15 years. Today the recycling and reuse rate is 80%, with the remaining 20% going to fertilizers. Of course, in a city with such an astounding achievement in sustainability, the architecture meets eco-standards - houses are built from recycled materials, windows, doors and many other furnishings are reused. Since 2003, residents have received a brochure detailing the principles of waste sorting and disposal. Everyone makes a personal contribution to the future of their village and the future of our planet. Let's take Kamikatsu as an example!

Resources were used to prepare the material:

https://www.archdaily.com
https://euro-pulse.ru/
https://fashion-int.ru/
https://taratutenko.ru
https://www.ecobyt.ru/
https://www.architime.ru

Author: Elena Belenkaya